Thursday 15 July 2010

LibraryThing

I like LibraryThing. It's easy to use and nicely set out. It would be really useful for small libraries and also for cataloguing private collections as it's free as well as quick.

It would be useful for showing new books or advertising special collections. I like the idea of being able to add a LibraryThing widget to websites, and that LibraryThing data can be added into existing records.

I've added a few of the books I really like and am reading at the moment so my collection on LibraryThing mainly consists of Harry Potter and a couple of classics so far. But maybe one day when I've got nothing better to do I'll go through all my bookcases and the boxes under my bed to catalogue what I have. It would be quite useful to be able to see at a glance whether I already have a book or not, although for me the idea of being able to share what's in my collection is a bit scary because I like to hide my books away from everyone so my friends and family can't come along and nick things. But maybe I'm just being overprotective...

I like that you can edit bibliographic information, so the records can be just how you like them. The only really gripe I have with it so far is that the images that come up automatically tend to be American covers, which I know shouldn't be a problem but it just annoys me. But at least they're easy to change. Maybe there's a way of setting it up so that the results are filtered to UK only records. I'll have a look another time I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment