Tuesday 29 June 2010

Flickr

I've never used Flickr before, but I know quite a few people who are avid users. Not owning a camera means that unfortunately I have not images to upload and I'm not particularly arty either, but I would definitely use Flickr if I needed to find images for something.

I started by looking for images of libraries and found a really nice one from Christopher Chan (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chanc/) of the Mitchell Library in Sydney :

You seem to be able to find pictures of almost anything on Flickr. It would be a good place to start if you needed a picture for a presentation or something. I also like the idea of being able to have a photostream if you're a keen photographer.

I was amazed to find so many pictures of my local town, Sudbury. Thanks to Jacek.NL for a picture of the famous meadows:

I think being able search for Creative Commons material is a good idea. I have to say I would have no idea what images I could or could not use and under what capacity, so being able to search in this way and easily check the conditions is great and could save a good deal of hassle.

So far out of all of the things we have covered I can see Flickr being the most useful. It's a great idea to have a virtual tour of the library and Emma-Jane (Leaps & bounds) has already started taking photos in preparation for next term!

No comments:

Post a Comment